Thursday, October 27, 2011

Day #4 of Bird-Day Week: White Picket Fence Pennant

We are having our Angry Bird Party at the park. It's great to have lots of room to play, but difficult to control the decor. I am not going to have Amy Atlas type party photos at the park...it just doesn't happen. You never know what else will be going on. We have been there for cheer practice during a wedding...yep, you read that correctly...a wedding took place during cheer practice. Who knows what we will see on Saturday!

I am using my white picket fence that I picked up at a Yard Sale last year. This fence is so versatile. I just finished using it for our school Harvest Hoedown fundraiser. That was a nice subtle and subdued look. The Angry Bird fence is a little more fun and colorful.


I started out with these bird houses from the dollar section at Michaels.


They have a cute cotton rope at the top to hang them from, so I had to tape it off before I got started. I didn't bother to prime, I just gave each one a coat of Rust-Oleum Ultra Cover Sun Yellow Gloss. It is extremely bright, but I took an Angry Bird stuffed animal to Home Depot...I looked like a total weirdo...and it was a great match to the red birds beak.


Next I took fabric from JoAnn Fabrics and used it to cut out pennants. It is a great coordinating fabric for Angry Birds that I just happened to have on hand for another project I hadn't gotten around to yet. The colors work so well with the colors of the game. What I really like is that the circles mimic the shape of the birds and pigs. It is a great match without being obvious.


I ran a line of hot glue across the top of a pennant (on the back) and glued it to my twine.


I repeated this process and checked periodically to see how many pennants would be a good fit for my fence.


I brought out my stash of ribbon and found pieces that would be a good match for the dots. I tied a small piece between each of the pennants for an additional pop of color.


I tied the twine around each of the fence posts and also tied a bird house to each one.


Look how cute this turned out! I haven't settled on what stuffed birds will hang out here during the party, but I really like the way it turned out. The banner will be great to hang onto for other party options too. It doesn't scream Angry Birds, which is nice in being more versatile.



I am off to paint a pinata...

I am linked up here:

3 comments:

  1. just so you know...my bday is in June. thought you'd need some time to start planning! ;) WOWOWOWOWOW!! I am so amazed by you! Jake's party is going to be fabulous!! I love all the details and hard work you're putting in to it. AND...I love how you LOVE YOUR KIDS! All your hard work and creativity shows how you love them! You're an awesome mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Heidi! Found you on the tt&j linky party :) I love love love that fence! What a great statement piece. I'm going to keep my eyes open for something like that....the possibilities are endless! Thanks for the inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so cute! I've seen the bunting for inside but never thought about using it outside for a party! I'm stuck on Cars theme parties - that's all my boys ask for! I'd love for you to share this at my blog hop Tuesday's Nursery - its for all ages of kids decor. I'll keep the linky open for several days since its a once per month party (First Tuesday). I hope you can make it, Nan

    www.PlayfulDecor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love to get comments! Drop me a note and let me hear what you think. Thanks. -Heidi