Thursday, November 10, 2011

Leaf Frame Remake


This is the frame that I started with. I am pretty sure I thought of buying this several years ago in a store. I considered buying it again last week at a Yard Sale. I didn't buy it, but my Mom did. She left it here for me when she flew home and I knew just what I was going to do with it.


My Mom calls me the Queen of Spray Paint...so of course it needed a coat of paint. I used my favorites from Rust-Oleum.


Here it is with a coat of primer. If I am going to LOVE it with a coat of paint, I usually know it with just a coat of primer. It is like the first peak of what I visualize in my head coming to life. I've got to be honest...I wasn't convinced this was the way to go at this point.


I didn't give up yet. I gave it a coat of Heritage White. I love the creamy look of the color. It is clean without being too stark white. This time however, it just wasn't what I was looking for. It's ok, but it just seems to clean.

Here is where I began to improvise the plan I originally had to come up with one that turned out to be better.


I decided to try something new. I pulled out my Annie Sloan Clear Wax and my Martha Stewart Root Bear Float acrylic paint.


I scooped some wax onto my paint pallet and mixed it with a few drops of paint.


I coated my frame with a foam brush. Then I wiped off most of the wax with a paper towel. I wanted the wax to highlight the crevices on the leaves. I had to use a Q-Tip to clean the "cut out" areas.

When the wax had a chance to dry, I used my hot glue gun to attach Scrabble tiles to the frame. I am really attached to the word "blessed" this Fall. I am really trying to take the time to see how truly blessed my little family is.


Our house is over 100 years old, but somehow I am always surprised by the crack in the base of the fireplace when I see it in a photo. I could only hope to look this good at 100!



I am linking up here:


HookingupwithHoH

1 comment:

  1. aww this is so sweet.Would luv for my readers to see this awesome idea, will you please join our weekly party at
    http://www.passionatelyartistic.com/2011/11/thanksgiving-showcase-tutorial-with.html
    have a great crafting weekend!
    Maggie
    http://passionatelyartistic.com

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love to get comments! Drop me a note and let me hear what you think. Thanks. -Heidi